Thursday, February 7, 2019

The Wolves of Winter | Tyrell Johnson

Title: The Wolves of Winter
Author: Tyrell Johnson
Length: 312 pages
Publication date: January 2, 2018
Genre: Adult post-apocalyptic
Rating: 4/5

Forget the old days. Forget summer. Forget warmth. Forget anything that doesn’t help you survive. Lynn McBride has learned much since society collapsed in the face of nuclear war and the relentless spread of disease. As memories of her old life haunt her, she has been forced to forge ahead in the snow-covered Canadian Yukon, learning how to hunt and trap to survive. But her fragile existence is about to be shattered. Shadows of the world before have found her tiny community—most prominently in the enigmatic figure of Jax, who sets in motion a chain of events that will force Lynn to fulfill a destiny she never imagined
If any book summary reminds me of Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel, I have to pick it up. I've read a few stinkers as a result. While The Wolves of Winter didn't blow me away, it certainly held its own. I loved the feeling in this bleak atmosphere; set in the wilderness of the Yukon, I really got that sense of isolation and loneliness. In a world that's been decimated by war and a virus, these people have a strong desire to survive, and they do it well, but that's all their lives have become. I was really looking for something really simplistic, and for the most part this book did deliver that. Towards the middle some things came out of left field and I was very surprised by where the story was going, so that did detract from my enjoyment of it. There were some pacing issues as well in the second half.

As far as the characters go, I found their motivations pretty realistic. They were all very practical and had their complexities. The main character did tend to think about sex a lot, which with a different depiction would be alright - she is a woman in her early twenties and doesn't have any options for a partner available to her, so when a man who isn't related to her comes along, well I'd imagine that my thoughts would be in a similar vein. But I was rolling my eyes at how this was depicted. To me it's so obvious when a male writes a female POV, because the way they think about things like that just sound like a man. Am I alone in this? Anyone else know what I'm talking about? Anyway, I digress. It wasn't gratuitous but it was enough that I had an eyeroll every once in awhile. There were a couple scenes of a sexual nature, and I will also give a trigger warning for rape - 2 scenes, neither drawn out, but fairly descriptive. So yeah, that wasn't my favourite part of the book.

I would also say there was a moderate amount of language. The main character mentions how her mom used to go to church and chastise her children for using words like "dang" but when they were alone with their dad he would let the cursing fly. That made me shake my head. As far as religion goes, there was another character mentioned as being a Christian, and as I interpreted it, I didn't find any disrespect shown to those characters for their beliefs, so that was kind of a nice reprieve. Not that the main character herself subscribed to those beliefs, but still.

I won't say this book was amazing, but the pros did outweigh the cons for me here, and overall I did enjoy it. It ended well but there was also room for a sequel, and if that sequel is ever published then I wouldn't hesitate to read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment